Monday, May 28, 2012

MAY, 28 2012

Home sweet Home in NJ as of 5/27/12....the last week or so has gone very fast..although the weather has been terrible since I left Richmond, I tried to do as many miles as possible so I could arrive in Philly ASAP... The rain took its toll on my bike and even though me and all my stuff got completely soaked, it was nice to be in a cool environment and not sweating to death.  Thankfully my maps were waterproof, as for a lot of my other stuff, not so much.    I arrived into Philly on Thursday, pouring rain of course, had a chance to meet a few friends and spend the night in the city.  Woke up early and rode from Philadelphia to my sister's house in Devon, PA.  Hung out for a few days with her and the family and arrived home in Princeton NJ on Sunday the 27th.

Being as though my original return date was June 1st, and because I arrived back so early I've been getting a lot of questions on how that happened and if I planned on that ect... Well basically, being as though I had zero experience cycling, let alone planning cross country cycling tours I had originally estimated doing about 40 to 50 miles a day, that divided into about 1800 miles and we came up with about a 6 week time schedule.  As the ride progressed and I became more and more comfortable with riding long distances, 40 - 50 miles a day slowly turned into 60,70, 80- and even 100 miles every day.  So a little bit of ignorance on my part allowed me to arrive a little early, but hey I made it.

There are a ton of people I would like to thank, way too many to name them all, but first off thanks to my family and friends for supporting me throughout this adventure, the emails, FB posts, texts ect.. all helped make the ride easier and enjoyable.  Thanks so much to EDEN for all their support and Especially Andy, Melinda, Aileen and everybody in the Fundraising department that helped organize this event.

Much thanks to all of those who donated to the ride, your contributions are very much appreciated.  You can still donate of course at www.rideforeden.org.

I'll continue to blog, I have many more people to thank... just wanted to give a quick thanks to everyone and let everyone know I arrived home safely.  I have a lot of things going on this week and lots to organize but I will keep everyone updated on upcoming ride events.

THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!!  COULDNT HAVE DONE IT ALONE!!!

2 comments:

  1. You should be deservedly proud of your accomplishment, John -- you completed the journey, did it ahead of schedule, and most important arrived safe and sound (if not a bit damp!). Thank you for taking on this challenge on behalf of the children and adults of Eden and their families. Looking forward to hearing more tales from the ride!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations John! So glad you made it home safely. Thank you so much for your efforts. You certainly helped to raise much needed funds and awareness for Eden's children and adults with autism. I look forward to your homecoming celebration on June 6th!

    ReplyDelete